• Ukraine is a sovereign and independent, democratic, social, law-based
• The sovereignty of Ukraine extends throughout its entire territory.
• Ukraine is a unitary state.
• The territory of Ukraine within its present border is indivisible
• The human being, his or her life and health, honour and dignity,
inviolability and security are recognised in Ukraine as the highest social
• Human rights and freedoms and their guarantees determine the essence
and orientation of the activity of the State. The State is answerable
to the individual for its activity. To affirm and ensure human rights
and freedoms is the main duty of the State.
• There is single citizenship in Ukraine. The grounds for the acquisition
and termination of Ukrainian citizenship are determined by law.
• Ukraine is a republic.
• The people are the bearers of sovereignty and the only source
of power in Ukraine. The people exercise power directly and through bodies
of state power and bodies of local self-government.
• The right to determine and change the constitutional order in
Ukraine belongs exclusively to the people and shall not be usurped by
the State, its bodies or officials.
• No one shall usurp state power.
• State power in Ukraine is exercised on the principles of its division
into legislative, executive and judicial power.
• Bodies of legislative, executive and judicial power exercise their
authority within the limits established by this Constitution and in accordance
with the laws of Ukraine.
• In Ukraine, local self-government is recognised and guaranteed.
• In Ukraine, the principle of the rule of law is recognised and
• The Constitution of Ukraine has the highest legal force. Laws
and other normative legal acts are adopted on the basis of the Constitution
of Ukraine and shall conform to it.
• The norms of the Constitution of Ukraine are norms of direct effect.
Appeals to the court in defence of the constitutional rights and freedoms
of the individual and citizen directly on the grounds of the Constitution
of Ukraine are guaranteed.
• International treaties that are in force, agreed to be binding
by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, are part of the national legislation
• The conclusion of international treaties that contravene the Constitution
of Ukraine is possible only after introducing relevant amendments to the
Constitution of Ukraine.
• The state language of Ukraine is the Ukrainian language.
• The State ensures the comprehensive development and functioning
of the Ukrainian language in all spheres of social life throughout the
entire territory of Ukraine.
• In Ukraine, the free development, use and protection of Russian,
and other languages of national minorities of Ukraine, is guaranteed.
• The State promotes the learning of languages of international
• The use of languages in Ukraine is guaranteed by the Constitution
of Ukraine and is determined by law.
• The State promotes the consolidation and development of the Ukrainian
nation, of its historical consciousness, traditions and culture, and also
the development of the ethnic, cultural, linguistic and religious identity
of all indigenous peoples and national minorities of Ukraine.
• Ukraine provides for the satisfaction of national and cultural,
and linguistic needs of Ukrainians residing beyond the borders of the
• The land, its mineral wealth, atmosphere, water and other natural
resources within the territory of Ukraine, the natural resources of its
continental shelf, and the exclusive (maritime) economic zone, are objects
of the right of property of the Ukrainian people. Ownership rights on
behalf of the Ukrainian people are exercised by bodies of state power
and bodies of local self-government within the limits determined by this
• Every citizen has the right to utilise the natural objects of
the people's right of property in accordance with the law.
• Property entails responsibility. Property shall not be used to
the detriment of the person and society.
• The State ensures the protection of the rights of all subjects
of the right of property and economic management, and the social orientation
of the economy. All subjects of the right of property are equal before
• Land is the fundamental national wealth that is under special
• The right of property to land is guaranteed. This right is acquired
and realised by citizens, legal persons and the State, exclusively in
accordance with the law.
• Social life in Ukraine is based on the principles of political,
economic and ideological diversity.
• No ideology shall be recognised by the State as mandatory.
• Censorship is prohibited.
• The State guarantees freedom of political activity not prohibited
by the Constitution and the laws of Ukraine.
• To ensure ecological safety and to maintain the ecological balance
on the territory of Ukraine, to overcome the consequences of the Chornobyl
catastrophe a catastrophe of global scale, and to preserve the gene pool
of the Ukrainian people, is the duty of the State.
• To protect the sovereignty and territorial indivisibility of Ukraine,
and to ensure its economic and informational security are the most important
functions of the State and a matter of concern for all the Ukrainian people.
• The defence of Ukraine and the protection of its sovereignty,
territorial indivisibility and inviolability, are entrusted to the Armed
Forces of Ukraine.
• Ensuring state security and protecting the state border of Ukraine
are entrusted to the respective military formations and law enforcement
bodies of the State, whose organisation and operational procedure are
determined by law.
• The Armed Forces of Ukraine and other military formations shall
not be used by anyone to restrict the rights and freedoms of citizens
or with the intent to overthrow the constitutional order, subvert the
bodies of power or obstruct their activity.
• The State ensures the social protection of citizens of Ukraine
who serve in the Armed Forces of Ukraine and in other military formations
as well as of members of their families.
• The creation and operation of any armed formations not envisaged
by law are prohibited on the territory of Ukraine.
• The location of foreign military bases shall not be permitted
on the territory of Ukraine.
• The foreign political activity of Ukraine is aimed at ensuring
its national interests and security by maintaining peaceful and mutually
beneficial co-operation with members of the international community, according
to generally acknowledged principles and norms of international law.
• The legal order in Ukraine is based on the principles according
to which no one shall be forced to do what is not envisaged by legislation.
• Bodies of state power and bodies of local self-government and
their officials are obliged to act only on the grounds, within the limits
of authority, and in the manner envisaged by the Constitution and the
laws of Ukraine.
• The state symbols of Ukraine are the State Flag of Ukraine, the
State Coat of Arms of Ukraine and the State Anthem of Ukraine.
• The State Flag of Ukraine is a banner of two equally-sized horizontal
bands of blue and yellow.
• The Great State Coat of Arms of Ukraine shall be established with
the consideration of the Small State Coat of Arms of Ukraine and the Coat
of Arms of the Zaporozhian Host, by the law adopted by no less than two-thirds
of the constitutional composition of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.
• The main element of the Great State Coat of Arms of Ukraine is
the Emblem of the Royal State of Volodymyr the Great (the Small State
Coat of Arms of Ukraine).
• The State Anthem of Ukraine is the national anthem set to the
music of M. Verbytskyi, with words that are confirmed by the law adopted
by no less than two-thirds of the constitutional composition of the Verkhovna
Rada of Ukraine.
• The description of the state symbols of Ukraine and the procedure
for their use shall be established by the law adopted by no less than
two-thirds of the constitutional composition of the Verkhovna Rada of
• The capital of Ukraine is the City of Kyiv.