• Local self-government is the right of a territorial community
— residents of a village or a voluntary association of residents
of several villages into one village community, residents of a settlement,
and of a city — to independently resolve issues o f local character
within the limits of the Constitution and the laws of Ukraine.
• Particular aspects of the exercise of local self-government in
the Cities of Kyiv and Sevastopol are determined by special laws of Ukraine.
• Local self-government is exercised by a territorial community
by the procedure established by law, both directly and through bodies
of local self-government: village, settlement and city councils, and their
• District and oblast councils are bodies of local self-government
that represent the common interests of territorial communities of villages,
settlements and cities.
• The issue of organisation of the administration of city districts
lies within the competence of city councils.
• Village, settlement and city councils may permit, upon the initiative
of residents, the creation of house, street, block and other bodies of
popular self-organisation, and to assign them part of their own competence,
finances and property.
• A village, settlement and city council is composed of deputies
elected for a four-year term by residents of a village, settlement and
city on the basis of universal, equal and direct suffrage, by secret ballot.
• Territorial communities elect for a four-year-term on the basis
of universal, equal and direct suffrage, by secret ballot, the head of
the village, settlement and city, respectively, who leads the executive
body of the council and presides at its meet ings.
• The status of heads, deputies and executive bodies of a council
and their authority, the procedure for their establishment, reorganisation
and liquidation, are determined by law.
• The chairman of a district council and the chairman of an oblast
council are elected by the respective council and lead the executive staff
of the council.
• The material and financial basis for local self-government is
movable and immovable property, revenues of local budgets, other funds,
land, natural resources owned by territorial communities of villages,
settlements, cities, city districts, and also o bjects of their common
property that are managed by district and oblast councils.
• On the basis of agreement, territorial communities of villages,
settlements and cities may join objects of communal property as well as
budget funds, to implement joint projects or to jointly finance (maintain)
communal enterprises, organisations and establishments, and create appropriate
bodies and services for this purpose.
• The State participates in the formation of revenues of the budget
of local self-government and financially supports local self-government.
Expenditures of bodies of local self-government, that arise from the decisions
of bodies of state power, are co mpensated by the state.
• Territorial communities of a village, settlement and city, directly
or through the bodies of local self-government established by them, manage
the property that is in communal ownership; approve programmes of socio-economic
and cultural development, a nd control their implementation; approve budgets
of the respective administrative and territorial units, and control their
implementation; establish local taxes and levies in accordance with the
law; ensure the holding of local referendums and the impleme ntation of
their results; establish, reorganise and liquidate communal enterprises,
organisations and institutions, and also exercise control over their activity;
resolve other issues of local importance ascribed to their competence
• Oblast and district councils approve programmes for socio-economic
and cultural development of the respective oblasts and districts, and
control their implementation; approve district and oblast budgets that
are formed from the funds of the state budg et for their appropriate distribution
among territorial communities or for the implementation of joint projects,
and from the funds drawn on the basis of agreement from local budgets
for the realisation of joint socio-economic and cultural programmes, and
control their implementation; resolve other issues ascribed to their competence
• Certain powers of bodies of executive power may be assigned by
law to bodies of local self-government. The State finances the exercise
of these powers from the State Budget of Ukraine in full or through the
allocation of certain national taxes to the local budget, by the procedure
established by law, transfers the relevant objects of state property to
bodies of local self-government.
• Bodies of local self-government, on issues of their exercise of
powers of bodies of executive power, are under the control of the respective
bodies of executive power.
• Bodies of local self-government, within the limits of authority
determined by law, adopt decisions that are mandatory for execution throughout
the respective territory.
• Decisions of bodies of local self-government, for reasons of nonconformity
with the Constitution or the laws of Ukraine, are suspended by the procedure
established by law with a simultaneous appeal to a court.
• The rights of local self-government are protected by judicial
• Other issues of the organisation of local self-government, the
formation, operation and responsibility of the bodies of local self-government,
are determined by law.