• 1. Laws and other normative acts, adopted prior to this Constitution
entering into force, are in force in the part that does not contradict
the Constitution of Ukraine.
• 2. After the adoption of the Constitution of Ukraine, the Verkhovna
Rada of Ukraine exercises the authority envisaged by this Constitution.
• Regular elections to the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine shall be held
in March 1998.
• 3. Regular elections of the President of Ukraine shall be held
on the last Sunday of October 1999.
• 4. The President of Ukraine, within three years after the Constitution
of Ukraine enters into force, has the right to issue decrees approved
by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and signed by the Prime-Minister
of Ukraine on economic issues not reg ulated by laws, with simultaneous
submission of the respective draft law to the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine,
by the procedure established by Article 93 of this Constitution.
• Such a decree of the President of Ukraine takes effect, if within
thirty calendar days from the day of submission of the draft law (except
the days between sessions), the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine does not adopt
the law or does not reject the submitte d draft law by the majority of
its constitutional composition, and is effective until a law adopted by
the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine on these issues enters into force.
• 5. The Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine is formed in accordance
with this Constitution within three months after its entry into force.
• 6. The Constitutional Court of Ukraine is formed in accordance
with this Constitution, within three months after its entry into force.
Prior to the creation of the Constitutional Court of Ukraine, the interpretation
of laws is performed by the Verkh ovna Rada of Ukraine.
• 7. Heads of local state administrations, upon entry of this Constitution
into force, acquire the status of heads of local state administrations
in accordance with Article 118 of this Constitution, and after the election
of chairmen of the respective councils, tender resignations from office
of the chairmen of these councils.
• 8. Village, settlement and city councils and the chairmen of these
councils, upon entry of this Constitution of Ukraine into force, exercise
the authority as determined by it, until the election of the new composition
of these councils in March 1998.
• District and oblast councils, elected prior to the entry of this
Constitution into force, exercise the authority as determined by it, until
the formation of the new composition of these councils in accordance with
the Constitution of Ukraine.
• City district councils and their chairmen, upon entry of this
Constitution into force, exercise their authority in accordance with the
• 9. The procuracy continues to exercise, in accordance with the
laws in force, the function of supervision over the observance and application
of laws and the function of preliminary investigation, until the laws
regulating the activity of state bodies in regard to the control over
the observance of laws are put into force, and until the system of pre-trial
investigation is formed and the laws regulating its operation are put
• 10. Prior to the adoption of laws determining the particular aspects
of the exercise of executive power in the Cities of Kyiv and Sevastopol
in accordance with Article 118 of this Constitution, the executive power
in these cities is exercised by the respective city administrations.
• 11. Article 99, paragraph one of this Constitution shall enter
into force after the introduction of the national monetary unit —
• 12. The Supreme Court of Ukraine and the High Court of Arbitration
of Ukraine exercise their authority in accordance with the legislation
of Ukraine that is in force, until the formation in Ukraine of a system
of courts of general jurisdiction, in ac cordance with Article 125 of
this Constitution, but for no more than five years.
• Judges of all courts in Ukraine, elected or appointed prior to
the day of entry of this Constitution into force, continue to exercise
their authority in accordance with the legislation in force, until the
expiration of the term for which they were ele cted or appointed.
• Judges whose authority has terminated on the day this Constitution
enters into force, continue to exercise their authority for the period
of one year.
• 13. The current procedure for arrest, holding in custody and detention
of persons suspected of committing a crime, and also for the examination
and search of a dwelling place or other possessions of a person, is preserved
for five years after this Co nstitution enters into force.
• 14. The use of existing military bases on the territory of Ukraine
for the temporary stationing of foreign military formations is possible
on the terms of lease, by the procedure determined by the international
treaties of Ukraine ratified by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.