• The expression of the will of the people is exercised through
elections, referendum and other forms of direct democracy.
• Citizens of Ukraine who have attained the age of eighteen on the
day elections and referendums are held, have the right to vote at the
elections and referendums.
• Citizens deemed by a court to be incompetent do not have the right
• Elections to bodies of state power and bodies of local self-government
are free and are held on the basis of universal, equal and direct suffrage,
by secret ballot.
• Voters are guaranteed the free expression of their will.
• An All-Ukrainian referendum is designated by the Verkhovna Rada
of Ukraine or by the President of Ukraine, in accordance with their authority
established by this Constitution.
• An All-Ukrainian referendum is called on popular initiative on
the request of no less than three million citizens of Ukraine who have
the right to vote, on the condition that the signatures in favour of designating
the referendum have been collected i n no less than two-thirds of the
oblasts, with no less than 100 000 signatures in each oblast.
• Issues of altering the territory of Ukraine are resolved exclusively
by an All-Ukrainian referendum.
• A referendum shall not be permitted in regard to draft laws on
issues of taxes, the budget and amnesty.